[pianotech] Tuning with simultaneous or staggered intervals -Howimportant?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Nov 5 07:56:04 MDT 2010

The brain perceives melodic intervals differently than harmonic intervals. It's also something any violinist will tell you. This has been demonstrated often at conventions and you can do this yourself. Play c3 and then with that sound in your head tune c5. You'll find that there's a tendency to sharp the upper note. Similarly double octaves when tuned beatless tend to sound too narrow when played as melodic intervals.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com