[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:41:31 MDT 2010

Since I'm a good swimmer, I'll jump in the water and try to swim ashore.I think that you are both right (David and Ron). The listening part and the pin manipulation part are both an important factors for someone who wants to speed up his tunings.
Now from what I have observed (working with a few freshly out of piano tuning schools associates) is their lack of confidence. This is what takes the most of their time. They use way too many tests in between the tuning lever movements to change the pins and then they'll spend some more time just banging on the note to try to make it move just to reassure themselves. They will leave the lever to test 3rds-10ths, double octaves etc. I try to get them to do most of their tests with one hand while keeping the other hand ready to move the pin. Every time they leave the tuning lever to use their hand to test, they loose precious time.Personally, I prefer to tune fast using tests that require only one hand and then after the first pass is done you can check all you want. And Ron, I agree with you that you can tune an octave and you don't have to listen to it for 3 seconds. The moment you play both notes, you can hear what's happening. And if you have your hand on the lever and move it, you'll find the sweet spot faster than if you try all these tests and argue with your conscience and try to make the octave more perfect that it can ever be. There are conflicting harmonics in an octave, you can't have them all perfect. You only have to take care of the predominant ones and let the others do their things.
But, like David Anderson said, you've got to get yourself in the zone and just tune. If you try to tune faster, it'll take more time, if you just do what you have to and move the strings, you'll get done in a breeze.
So if no one comes around to stand up on my head, I'll get ashore safely. ;-)
Marcel Carey