[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 5 15:19:29 MDT 2010

On 11/5/2010 3:41 PM, Marcel Carey wrote:

> And Ron, I agree with you that you can tune an octave and you don't have
> to listen to it for 3 seconds. The moment you play both notes, you can
> hear what's happening. And if you have your hand on the lever and move
> it, you'll find the sweet spot faster than if you try all these tests
> and argue with your conscience and try to make the octave more perfect
> that it can ever be.

That's pretty much my point, and while you're pecking away on the keys
moving the pin, you get instant and much more richly detailed and
immediate feedback information on what is actually happening among the
hammer, pin, and string, than you will tuning into the decay. It also
settles things as you go, without pounding.

>There are conflicting harmonics in an octave, you
> can't have them all perfect.

Actually, while the rapid fire thing is useful everywhere, I find it
even more dramatically useful tuning unisons, with less time between key
strokes than you can do with intervals.

The thing that most amazes the people who actually try this is that
after the initial strangeness of it, they report not feeling like
they're hurrying at all, yet the tunings get both faster and easier.
Yea, it's a zone of sorts, but I'll stick with describing the approach
and let the Andersen kid burn the incense. That *is* incense, right
Dave?  <G>

Ron N