[pianotech] Finish on finish

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Fri Nov 5 22:20:01 MDT 2010

Hello,

I have a 1925 Steinway that has basically a very good mahogany finish.  It was well cared for and largely sat untouched for decades.  Although the finish is in excellent shape it will eventually have issues due to age.   I'm wondering as an alternative to striping off a perfectly good looking finish, maybe scuff it up with fine paper and pads and then shoot a new clear finish over it.  This would make the finish hard and smooth again without having to deal with all the stripping mess, grain filling, color matching, everything from scratch.  This could reduce a two-three week job into a matter of days.

Has anyone here done this or seen some disasters?  Any suggestions?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV