[pianotech] Key easing question

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Nov 6 11:01:41 MDT 2010

We're talking generalities and quick fixes
here.  Let's not forget that we've moved quite a
ways from crushed wood as the only
option.  Depending upon how severe or extensive
the condition is, or how much of an emergency it
is, there's always Protek, ironing, or Pianotek's
liquid sizing treatment, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

As for balance holes, while I've never
intentionally done so, it would seem that lifting
the key with the action stack in-place will do a
fair job of easing, front to back.  If, with the
key thus elevated, you were to lean it side to
side, that might even do a bit of easing in a
lateral direction.  I'm off to see a piano right now. Steinway D.  I'll try it.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY