[pianotech] Tuning with simultaneous or staggered intervals

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Sat Nov 6 15:56:16 MDT 2010

Thank you David N and David L

I am tuning harmonic intervals in general now but do find that I habitually
slip back to tuning melodic intervals.  I actually find it easier to tune
using the melodic tuning, but because it is the "done thing", tuning
harmonic intervals, I have been persisting with it.

David N, I was tuning a Yamaha spinet this morning and as I was tuning the
treble, which had a lot of false beats, I remembered that another big factor
in tuning is to know when to move on.  I could spend extra time trying to
make the unison sound "perfect" but it could really be wasted extra time.
It very well might never sound great even if I spend extra time fussing with
it.  So I made it sound as best as I thought it was going to and moved on.

Regards, Mark