[pianotech] Fwd: vacuum press pinblock

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 16:40:11 MDT 2010

 Sorry  Joe/Ron
A Misfire on the first one

On 11/6/2010 2:17 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

 Dale,
> All of the substrates look really good. However, what's with the
> inconsistant top multi-lam? That would be were one would want the best
> consistency, I should think.???
 Well I knew someone would say that.  This was a small piece that came off the angled cut and I was trying to trim it a bit to size on the band saw for a decent picture which...didn't work.  The top caps is 7 mm

Joe,
The substrate material is the least critical aspect of these blocks, as long as it's low density. That cap may look sloppy, but will work just fine. Mechanically, it's a non problem, and installed, it's not visible. So no foul. -Ron
  it appeared sloppy but it

wasn't sloppy

Still seems like a terrible waste of good wood and time though, when the relatively cheap multilam blocks work so well as hybrids.
Ron N
 I'm guessin that Multilams have about the same amount of square centimeters of maple wasted on them as these do and work well for you and others
  My goal in this was to produce a block that tunes as nicely or similarly as Yamahas... and they do.   I prefer the way the pin feels in quarter sawn material.  It is a recipe that I am very satisfied with and the process to make one isn't real complicated once the initial set up is in place. I can make a double panel in about 4 hours glued and flat. I despise a piano that is not easy to tune and the more difficult they are the more of there life they spend out of tune as it takes more effort and skill to tune.  I don't want my rebuild to have that reputation.
    I sell this block in my rebuilds as a value added custom component similar to Steinway blocks. I get the performance from the block I desire, & I don't pay the $850.00 plus shipping  for a the Canadian made block. Steinway Blocks are much higher than that. The money I pay myself I invest in the equipment and the mortgage, vacation and I get the profound pleasure of smelling fresh cut hard rock maple frequently. Its all good.
  Dale Erwin