[pianotech] Fwd: vacuum press pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 6 17:56:16 MDT 2010

On 11/6/2010 5:40 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:

>> Still seems like a terrible waste of good wood and time though, when the
>> relatively cheap multilam blocks work so well as hybrids.
>> Ron N
> *I'm guessin that Multilams have about the same amount of square
> centimeters of maple wasted on them as these do and work well for you
> and others

No, not the number of square centimeters lost in manufacture (which
would be cubic in any case), but the *quality* of wood. High grade
quarter sawn maple is going to cost more and be harder to replace than
flat rotary cut.

> My goal in this was to produce a block that tunes as nicely or similarly
> as Yamahas...* *and they do.*

I understand that, as do hybrid blocks made with multilam.

>*I prefer the way the pin feels in quarter sawn material.

Have you actually tried a sample of Delignit capped multilam, or are you
presuming an inferior feel on pedigree?

> *I sell this block in my rebuilds as a value added custom component
> similar to Steinway blocks.

Which is the real reason rather than this being a functionally superior
block to a Delignit capped multilam. Good enough, thank you.

Ron N