[pianotech] Pinblocks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 6 20:36:17 MDT 2010

Ron said:
"Joe,
The substrate material is the least critical aspect of these blocks, as
long as it's low density. That cap may look sloppy, but will work just
fine. Mechanically, it's a non problem, and installed, it's not visible.
So no foul.

Still seems like a terrible waste of good wood and time though, when the
relatively cheap multilam blocks work so well as hybrids."

Ron,
I agree that the substrate does not need to be as elegant as that. Nor, is it as critical as the top "layer". However, I do, also, believe that the substrate needs to be of a consistant density, what ever that denisty is. the use of high-grade maple is, IMO, not that necessary. The top "layer" does need to be of a high quality and consistant throughout, IMO. I think we are both on the same page. I was just inquiring why the top layer was inconsistant, that's all.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I