[pianotech] tuning etc

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 6 18:11:03 MDT 2010

Hey Everyone,
So what's the difference again between melodic tuning and harmonic tuning?  Sometimes things get lost in all of the threads on here.  I'm curious.  I just tune use tests as I was trained, and it all works out.  Also am I hearing you guys correctly?  It's better to forget about lubing that v bar or area of the string around the top bass bridge.  I'm not all that fond of greasy film on the strings, but I hate going to a piano fearing that a string will break.  I hate the anxiety, yes I get anxiety over it.  lol  I tried bumping a while back and the string still broke. lol It was on a Kimball that the customer rately used.

Also I had to go back to a piano I tuned in September.  It's a Pramberger console with a muffler rail. I was told it was made in Korea.  The arm on the left side apperently was bent a little and would not stay in the plastic round slot/hole in the side of the piano. I had to bend it a little.  Can that little spring cause too much tension and pull the arm away from it's resting place as the pedal is being used?  I changed its positoin to the upper hole on the arm instead of the lower one, and it seemed to help a great deal.  Don't forget for those of us in the states who change time, we get an extra hour to dream about pianos tonight.  :-)
Have a good one
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service