[pianotech] Damper Lever Resistance

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 14:29:49 MST 2010

Sorry, talking grands here.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Roger at Integra.com
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 1:03 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Damper Lever Resistance

David,
Your correct to use the least tension vs.effective damping  ratio to set
your baseline. There are many geometrical variances that would make it
difficult to target any given number elsewhere other than the center of the
damper felt. After friction is reduced to a reasonable level, I would start
at 30 - 50 grams (30 in the treble and 50 in the bass) measured at the
center of the damper felt. The 30 - 50 gram baseline would generally define
the needs of most currently produced pianos. A levered gram gauge in easiest
for measuring, but if you don't have one that measures within that range you
can place the action on its back and use gram weights. Another trick to
reduce the spring tension imprint at the key is to keep the rate of damper
travel to a minimum. Using the 50% hammer travel  for damper engagement as
your starting point, bend the tip of the damper spoon backwards to reduce
the travel rate to that which satisfies the lift requirement. Your are, in
effect, changing the ellipse angle of a "cam" that is acting against the
damper lever felt.
Roger Gable