[pianotech] Damper Lever Resistance

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Nov 8 01:55:22 MST 2010

>> From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net

>> >Those of you who use gram resistance gauges to set damper lever spring
>> tension I'm curious what guidelines you use in terms of the number of grams
>> targeted but more importantly, perhaps, where in the damper lever stroke do
>> you target: with the damper at rest, at half blow, at the top of the stroke.

>> From: Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net>
>
> I set the spring tension on a digital scale with the lever a little higher
> than its rest position. Starting with around 28g in the bass tapering
> to 22g at the tenor break and tapering further to 10g if the springs
> encompass the entire tenor section.

Hi David,

I also find that the Renner published figures are too high.

I switched to using the digital scale method (attach a fin and zero out), as Jon Page suggests.  I find that with the scale, whatever numbers one decides to target, it is much easier to make the measurement at the exact same point of lift (corresponding to key dip), bringing about a more consistent tapering.

If you target and achieve a low value at the very beginning of underlever lift (if that's where you decide to make your measurement), and remeasure at the very end of underlever lift, you will, of course find a higher value as the spring is more compressed.  I know that you already understand that, as it is at the root of your question about where to measure.

Although I don't have a specific numerical recommendation for you, I am responding to recommend the digital scale method instead of a gram resistance gauge because it is easier to pick a precise moment in lift and measure at that point consistently.  It is also easier to check and refine your work;  just slide the scale (with an attached fin) down the row, lifting each underlever onto the fin sequentially.  You can probably check each section in under a minute (depending on how fast your digital scale decides and displays a value).  Not that we're in a hurry to complete the job, but as is typical in piano regulation, faster and more precise measurements/decisions promote more circular passes through the regulation step or sequence, which usually results in a more refined end product.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh