[pianotech] Damper Lever Resistance

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 07:48:10 MST 2010

Actually, I do use the digital scale platform method.  But thank you, it's a
good idea.  Even with that the amount of resistance as it's felt at the key
will be different depending on where in the damper lever travel you set the
scale as you mentioned.  My goal has always been to set the minimum amount
of weight or resistance required for effective damping (and it doesn't have
to be stone cold, dead, instantaneous damping either).  I just haven't been
able to really determine what that minimum is exactly.  Jon's numbers do
somewhat confirm the place I've gotten to over time and represent a lowering
of the Renner guidelines--fairly substantially in the mid range, in fact.
I'm curious what numbers others use if they have them.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com