[pianotech] 1892 Steinway B sharps

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Nov 8 13:20:56 MST 2010

Mike,

Is it a graduated height or a wear issue?  An 85 note B is pretty old, and I
would suspect the keys have some measurable wear.  I've not ever heard of
sharps varying in height purposefully - it doesn't compute.  Look at the
front face of the sharps relative to each other on some of the most obvious
ones.  I'll bet you'll see a difference in appearance, and it certainly
wouldn't make sense that S&S wanted the keys to look differently across the
scale.

William R. Monroe