[pianotech] 1892 Steinway B sharps

Michael H. Fisher fisherm at bgsu.edu
Mon Nov 8 14:34:14 MST 2010

The front profiles seem to be the same.  The height at the back of the sharps is the same.  There is about a 1/16” difference in height at the front, comparing the highest and lowest, with an even graduation in between.  The tops are straight, front to back.  It doesn’t appear to be from wear, but could be I guess.   I wish I had numbered them when I took them off.   I’m wondering if for playing or aesthetic purposes, it would be advantageous to have the two ends of the keyboard slightly lower as opposed to higher or the same height?  Or, a preferred less key travel in the treble section and because of the shorter sharp height the top of the sharp ends up the same distance above the natural when fully depressed?  Thanks.

MF