[pianotech] string breakage, distressed underlevers

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey at marshall.edu
Tue Nov 9 09:38:30 MST 2010

I'll bet the Julliard School doesn't have many Yamaha G-1's.

Also, the kind of playing you describe will eventually break strings on ANY piano.
There likely IS something wrong. The piano is too small.

I serviced a five year old Yamaha C5 at a local Pentecostal Church.
The pianists there are continually breaking strings over the whole compass of the keyboard. They break at the Agraff, V-bar, bridge pins and hitch pins. Bass Strings and plain wire.

I told them and told them that their vicious style of playing was the cause. I increased let-off, decreased blow distance, and voiced the hammers nearly to mush.

They never noticed any change in the action or tone and they still break strings.

I resigned the account.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University