[pianotech] string breakage, distressed underlevers

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 09:59:59 MST 2010

Make sure that both strings of the bichord notes are being hit when the
shift pedal is engaged. Only one string taking all that stress may be one of
the problems. Also make sure the hammer to string fit is good. It wouldn't
hurt to limit the shift a little more so that you make sure he's always
hitting all strings of each unison.

Also, keeping a good shape on the hammers will be a big part of maintaining
this piano. Steaming and ironing on a regular basis could help prolong the
life of the hammers.

A quick and easy way to reduce power is to shim up the backrail cloth, or
just lay some bushing cloth on top of it. This will decrease both blow and
dip, so the aftertouch will stay the same: no need to change any other
regulation spec.

Looks like he may be ready for a restringing job, or a new piano. Maybe
you're not charging enough for the string repairs :) Don't let him off too
easy! If he's putting a lot of hard miles on his car, he'll expect a lot
more trips to the shop too!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter