[pianotech] Fwd: green piano with bass bridge problem

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Nov 10 14:04:45 MST 2010

<grin> I fixed one much worse than that, Barbara, and it turned out
fine. Even sounded good. It's in my article "Bridge Confessions", Feb.
1998. Tons of epoxy, I used a slat against the lower edge along the
whole bass bridge. At first I intended to just use the slat to clamp
against, pulling together a massive split through the lower bridge pins
(which I removed.) But when I went to do it, I realized that the bridge
was way too skinny besides being split. I just epoxied the slat to the
bridge. Once it was set up, I made string lines, and put the bridge pins
wherever I found solid wood, on the line which would produce accurate
side-bearing. (The bridge had split because of hugely excessive
side-bearing for the bottom pins, plus they were angled so that they
hardly had any wood supporting them.)

Thanks for the memories -- enjoy your repair, this kind of thing can be
a lot of fun.

If you can't find the article, let me know and I'll mail you a photocopy
of it.

Susan Kline