[pianotech] Imagine

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Nov 11 22:47:56 MST 2010

Dear Baffled,

It's certainly not for the money. Nor is it to "appease" someone's demands.

It's a different game than the "long big grand" game, but not an
unworthy one, IMO. It calls for ingenuity. Make someone's day! Play the
ball where it lies! Get that little hummer up and doing in no uncertain
terms, in a way which will keep it humming along for eons! And all in a
short enough time that you don't need to develop a martyr complex, and
for a price your soon-to-be-eternally-devoted customer can manage. Save
the ship! Even if it's a little rowboat! And then there's the slightly
clandestine joy of succeeding where so many others have failed, or just
turned up their noses, the ignorant helpless conceited louts!

So, in the unlikely event you book work on one of these wrecks by
mistake, what are you going to do? Waste your time going to the house by
doing nothing once there? Disappoint the humble but hopeful owner, who
isn't really expecting a miracle, but hoping against prior experience to
get one anyway? Leave the little thingee sitting there in its dust and
misery, with the pedal hanging down like the tongue of a dead animal,
when some stupid five-minute epoxy and a little deft innovation can get
it up and running in fifteen minutes?

Have you watched any McGyver episodes lately? (Netflix carries them ...)
Fixing these tiny wounded warriors is a little closer to McGyver's world
than to a world-class piano designer's.

sssssssssssssssssssnnnnn

P.S. Putting the bridge pins in a split bridge here, and there, and over
there (wherever works best) is not a SHABBY repair! It's a highly
practical but unsightly repair. If done right, it should hold up to
whatever comes its way for decades, certainly far longer than the
original geometrically-challenged bad factory workmanship. Luckily it's
out of sight. The other option is the landfill. That's even more unsightly.