[pianotech] Brambach to rebuild?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 06:04:25 MST 2010

Hi Del - I looked at those pictures and one thing I noted what that
the bass section had a short backscale, the bass bridge has an apron,
and the tenor hitch pins are very close to the bass bridge. All
suggesting to me that it would be rather difficult to move the bass
bridge forward much if any at all. Seems to me that even if you cut a
redesigned soundboard free at the foot, although some improvement in
tone might be had, the short backscale would still tend to cause that
nasty constrained nasal tone in the bass. Would it not be better to
find a different old no-name clunker that might better lend itself to
redesign improvements?

Looking again at the photo of the bass bridge area, I see there is an
apron of plate iron forward of the tenor hitch pins (in front of the
bass bridge). If that is full-thickness, I suppose you could move
those pins forward a bit - assuming more notes would be destined for a
transition bridge. Still seems a bit cramped in that area though, and
my guess is that the apron thins. But then again, I suppose all this
is a problem common to most small grands. But perhaps some lend
themselves to improvements more that others (like this one)?

Terry Farrell