[pianotech] Brambach to rebuild?

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Nov 12 09:59:26 MST 2010

Terry, you're quite right -- the bass has some problems. Still, I've seen
worse. With vertical hitches and the right scaling, though, it won't be a
"bad" bass; it just won't be the best that can be done in a piano of this
size.

I saw all of those problems as well...but they were over-ridden by that
wonderful shot of the name "Brambach" cast into the plate. To be sure, there
are probably other no-name pianos out there that might be better raw
material for the ultimate rebuild but none of them will have that legendary
name! It is instantly recognizable by any piano technician. And it's known
-- absolutely! Positively! -- to be nothing good. The thing is, you see,
it's not just that we couldn't possibly expect anything great because it
wasn't built by one of the old masters -- we're absolutely convinced that
nothing great ever could come out of a Brambach. Ever. Period. Dot. So if
something good does come out it must be due to something the rebuilder did.
And maybe, just maybe, he/she might be able to do it again.

My reasoning for liking a project such as this goes along these lines: Given
a new action and appropriate hammers, a well thought out scale (Of course I
have some ideas!) and a competently designed soundboard and bridge system,
the bulk of the piano's compass--the three-fourths of the keyboard compass
where most pianists spend most of their time -- will be as good as can be
achieved in any other piano. Yes, the lowest bass will be a little less than
could be done starting with some other platform; even so, I can see
comparing the low bass with new pianos (of similar size) costing upwards of
$55K. And, quite frankly, I'd be pleased if a potential client had gone out
and shopped some of the well-known and very high-end pianos before coming to
see my low-life Brambach. I might even suggest it....

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
620 South Tower Avenue