[pianotech] No jack position adjustment on older Steinway A.

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 20:17:13 MST 2010

Found it!

Greetings,

   If you are referring to the older style of fly(jack) that has no
adjusting button nor spoon, you will have to thread a couple of pieces
of

embroidery thread through the compacted felt that positions the fly
under the knuckle.  Be advised that this felt is hard to properly

replace.  It is very quiet, and anything you replace it with needs to
be really soft, which will compact rather quickly.  I use a fairly
large

needle and insert the thread from the top, pulling it through until
flush with the upper surface, and slice it free from the bottom with a

long blade in an Xacto knife.

   It is also usual that these vintage whippens have verdigris, so
that is one more reason to replace them.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT