[pianotech] ringing dampers

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:56:42 MST 2010

Wim, I guess Lim was talking about hammer string mating and the zing sounds that are produced by unpropper mating. It´s not a damper problem but produces high overtone sounds, too.

Concerning your problem: sure that it is a damper problem? Not just a resonance of a lose screw or whatever? Play one of the notes hard and staccato. Immediately after damping press the damper to the strings by hand. If the sound does not stop it might be a flageolet. Or press the damper to the string by hand and plug the string. If the sound is still there it is a flageolet. You say all the F# and A# in the bass are affected. Maybe only one damper is the culprit. Try to find it by dampening succesive all the bass strings by hand.

Dampers in pianos are a strange thing. Sometimes they dampen, sometimes not :-(

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de