[pianotech] No jack position adjustment on older Steinway A

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Nov 13 03:55:26 MST 2010

I  came across tyhis recently also. It was pointed out to me by Steinway
UK's Technical Services Manager when he came to assess the 1890s
Steinway B (or the then equivalent) that I tune in the local theatre.

A shim on the back of the jack sounds a good idea. To replace the felt
pads that the jack tip rests against, would require getting the right
type of felt so as not to generate noise, and removing and replacing
would be a fiddly and time-consuming job.

The lack of the jack adjustment, means that the action simply cannot be
regulated to the degree of fineness/evenness of a modern action.

Best regards,

David Boyce.