[pianotech] No jack position adjustment on older Steinway A

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 13 07:41:06 MST 2010

On 11/13/2010 4:55 AM, David Boyce wrote:
> I came across this recently also. It was pointed out to me by Steinway
> UK's Technical Services Manager when he came to assess the 1890s
> Steinway B (or the then equivalent) that I tune in the local theatre.

We didn't always have easy screw adjustments for everything. These are
actually nice light wippens, and *can* work quite well.

> A shim on the back of the jack sounds a good idea.

Not on the back of the jack, but under, or somewhere within the felt.

> The lack of the jack adjustment, means that the action simply cannot be
> regulated to the degree of fineness/evenness of a modern action.

It's been my observation through the years that any sentence with the
word "simply" in it is almost certainly in error. They can be regulated
to whatever degree you're willing to spend the time toward. It's just
more of a pain on the - back.

But yea, I'd rather have a screw adjustment too.
Ron N