[pianotech] no jack position adjustment on Steinway A

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 08:34:59 MST 2010

Ryan: "I consulted with a client today about his early 1900's Steinway A. The
client has been unhappy with the heavy touch, so one of the things I checked
was jack postion. I then discovered that there was no adjustment for the
jack position! This is the first time I've seen this.

I'm thinking maybe the easiest way to adjust it is to put a paper shim on
the back of the jack. Any other ideas? How unusual is this?"

--
Ryan,
That is probably earlier than 1900. 85 notes? Probably 1880's. I've run into several. Paper/felt/whatever doesn't work...generally creates noise if you glue something in there. Two options: 1. change the jacks and add the spoon to the olde, (often brittle), wippens. 2. New wippens. (Steinway N.Y. Improved is recommended...not some knock offs.<G)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I