[pianotech] using jiffy leads????

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Nov 13 21:48:02 MST 2010

I've used jiffy leads on a couple of uprights, attaching them to the bottoms of the keys.  Some of these uprights need additional mass for proper key return (I too use a scale to achieve a target weight) but the vertical dimension of the back of the key is so small that even a quarter inch weight in the key would weaken it.  I use a half weight if I can to minimize inertia.  Obviously there has to be enough clearance under the keys to pull this off, but it has worked in these cases for me.  Nothing ugly to look at unless you pull the keys!

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter