[pianotech] using jiffy leads????

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Nov 14 01:53:47 MST 2010

At 22:26 -0500 13/11/2010, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

>...even if I replaced the leads with new ones, there was nothing
>that could be done to keep them from expanding, too...
>
>You have to know that this is a real crazy thing. On the same piano,
>some of the leads will corrode, while others will show no corrosion,
>at all.

Wim, the lead that corrodes is impure.  Pure lead will not go like
that. In the old days, before the problem was widely recognized, the
lead used to make the key weights was often full of impurities,
melted down from dirty scrap.  If you put in new leads they should be
fine, unless your supplier is cutting corners and not specifying the
quality.

JD