[pianotech] Promos

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Nov 15 05:37:02 MST 2010

I think that's an interesting point. It's a bit of psychology.

Many years ago I operated a one-hour photo processing mini-lab, back in
the early days of one-hour processing. Often, people's photos didn't
"come out" properly because of customer error in loading the film or
operating the camera. Time and again I found that if I took the time to
explain to t.he customer face to face what he or she had done wrong, I
was met with suspicion, as if  they felt "he's trying to con me".  But
we printed up some little sticky labels to attach to the print wallet,
wtih various faults: "Film not loaded properly", "poor light,
underexposed" etc.  Customers always accepted the labels without question!

The other thing I noted was that if there had been operator error  on
our part, and a customer's film got spoiled (it happens in the best
labs), it was best to be completely frank and honest (and offer
reasonable compensation). Customers were always very understanding.

Best regards,

David Boyce