[pianotech] My Heller bass communication (but going OT)

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Nov 16 13:54:02 MST 2010

I re-visited the Science Museum in London during the summer, with a
friend visiting from Siberia.  We were looking at the work of James Watt
(who was born here) and I was amused to notice, which I hadn't before,
that Boulton & Watt LEASED their steam engines to manufacturers, and
that the engines (a few of which are in the Science Museum) had
clockwork counters. These recorded each revolution of the engine, and
the lessee was charged accordingly.  Exactly this method is used today
by photocopier companies. Until very recently, the counters were
clockwork, too.

Best regards,

David Boyce. (old enough also to have been taught basic slide rule
functions in school....)