[pianotech] What is the Steinway term for 'whippen'

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 16 13:22:58 MST 2010

That's how I spell it anywho....Wippen. I get whipped enough at work: I
don't need more Whippens! lol :>)

Paul

From:
"John R. Granholm" <jtuner at qwestoffice.net>
To:
pianotech at ptg.org
Date:
11/16/2010 01:10 PM
Re: [pianotech] What is the Steinway term for 'whippen'

Who in our trade is charged with the task of determining the
"correct" spelling? According to Bill Garlick, it was "Whippen" in 1975. I
will stick with that.
    Is that a jack or a fly?  Repetition or Balancier? Wrestplank or
pinblock?

This is indeed an issue, especially when putting together the Journal.

We finally had to come up with a standard nomenclature list for Journal
use.  We consulted Piano Parts and their Functions as an authority, but
even it contradicts itself, so we came up independently with what we
thought was best and most common usage, and what made sense to us.

For the Journal anyway, it's wippen, pinblock, etc. -- our nomenclature
list is longer than you might think.  We have no desire to proclaim
correctness, but feel it's important to be consistent with terminology, so
you don't read about a wippen in one article and a whippen in the next
one.

John Granholm RPT