[pianotech] Little Everett Grands - was: Heller bass strings

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Nov 16 19:15:40 MST 2010

I'll try this again. I sent this earlier today but the electronic gods
apparently didn't like it..

Terry, sounds like basically the same piano. This one was built in 1917. I
wrote the following elsewhere about this piano:

Quote:

For some time I have been curious about this wire. Finally just the right
piano came along and I've been able to actually test some. The piano is a
161 cm (5' 3.5") Everett grand. Nicely, and very simply, built. But its most
appealing criteria was its scaling; originally it was pretty horrific,
topping out above 210 lbf on either side of the tenor/treble break then
dropping down to 89 lbf at the lowest note on the tenor bridge (A#-26).
Still, I thought, the little thing had potential. Besides, it is just under
55" wide and has-to my eye, at least-a very appealing shape.

The original soundboard panel was fairly thin, the ribbing on the light side
and the bass bridge would be easily moveable. I did not want to replace the
soundboard-one has to draw the line somewhere on these experiments and I
didn't see how I could explain the cost and time of a new board to my
long-suffering wife! So, we scraped the board clean of old finish,
epoxy-coated it as per our usual practice, cleaned up the bridges and
installed new bridge pins, moved the bass bridge forward some 40 mm (1.6"),
installed a new pinblock and set the frame for relatively light string
bearing and put the whole thing back together. The damper action was rebuilt
and new Tokiwa damper felts have been installed. The keys and action have
been rebuilt and it now has small (so-called 14 lb) Ronsen/Wurzen hammers.

The new scale has nothing over 155 lbf of tension through the tenor and
mostly they average between 145 and 150 lbs. (There are only three frame
sections in this piano and the average tension through the tenor section is
calculates out to 144 lbs. The total scale tension is just 34,760 lbf-quite
low for any "modern" piano.) Except for the lowest seven notes which drop
rather precipitously to 98 lbf of tension-not quite as low as the original
but still quite low for a "modern" piano. The new bi-chord bass strings
[again, part of the experiment] also average around 150 to 155 lbs.

Ordinarily when rebuilding a piano of this size and type I would have
converted the lowest few notes in the tenor to bi-chord wrapped
strings-probably the lowest six or seven in this case-and placed them on a
separate transition bridge. (The bass/tenor break in this piano is between
A-25 and A#-26.) But this was an experiment so I left them as plain
tri-chords.

The sound of the completed piano was pretty much as anticipated; after
voicing the hammers down a bit the tone quality through the bass and from
about E-32 was sweet and dynamic and quite powerful enough for any normal
room where a piano of this size might be placed. In fact, the consensus
among most pianists is that this piano has more useable power than the new
175 cm (5' 9") Asian-built piano sitting next to it. Even the low bass comes
pretty close to the clarity and power of the newer, longer piano. Not all
was sweetness and light, however. The age-old problem, of course, was the
nasal, tubby sound of those lowest seven or eight notes in the tenor.

And here is where the rest of the experiment comes in; in two separate steps
I replaced the wire in the lowest eight unisons with Paulello wire. The
first step was to replace the string of the lowest eight unisons with
Paulello Type M wire. After installing the wire and tuning the piano I, and
a variety of folks who had been given the opportunity to play the piano both
before and after the change were asked for comments. The audible differences
at this stage were, if any at all, nominal. Not having any prior experience
with the wire I wasn't sure just what to expect but I didn't think I could
hear any significant change. Several others thought they might be hearing
some difference but it wasn't significant.

The next step was to replace the lowest four unisons with Type O wire. There
is now Type O wire on notes A#-26 through C#-29 and Type M wire on D-30
through F-33. Now the timbral change became clearly discernable. The tone of
those lowest tenor notes is noticeably less tubby and nasal sounding. The
bass/tenor transition is noticeably smoother. As well, I could bring the
hammers on those lowest tenor notes back up a bit without having them
sounding obnoxious.

The experiment continued: even with the increased backscale length I still
wasn't quite happy with the lowest bass notes-the drop-off was a bit faster
than I wanted-so I added about 75 grams of mass under the soundboard right
at the low end of the bass bridge. This improved the sustain of the lowest
bass notes some. I also thought I could now do some better with the
bass/tenor break so I added two short (approx. 250 mm long), intermediate
ribs under the soundboard, one right at end of the tenor bridge and another
further up between the next two ribs. Both are parallel to the original
ribs.

I'm not sure if I'll be making any more changes to the piano or not. Except
for those lowest three or four notes in the low tenor I'm pretty happy with
the sound of the piano at this stage. I do need to clean up the voicing a
bit but, other than that, I'm not sure I can make it much better. The
bass-for a piano of this size-is quite clear and articulate. The bass/tenor
transition is smooth and virtually unnoticeable during normal play-it is
only when played harder and chromatically that their sound becomes
obnoxious. The upper tenor and treble are clear and bright, while avoiding
the harshness found in so many pianos today. The whole piano has a warmth
and musicality that I find quite enjoyable. At this stage the question that
remains is simply; do I want to sell it or keep it?

ddf

Addendum: So far my analysis of this wire has all been by ear. I made the
wire change and listened. I was careful to change only one parameter at a
time-i.e., the wire and nothing else-but I have not done any kind of
spectrum analysis work. That will come later. Sometime down the road I plan
to mount test samples to my dual mono-chord where I will be able to make
direct, side-by-side, comparisons between the various types of wire. It
should be interesting.

End quote

The original location of the bass bridge was back a bit from where it sounds
like it is in your piano. I relocated it and it is now probably about like
yours-I'm not at the piano just now but the backscale at A-1 is probably
around 110 mm. I wonder if that was a design change on mine or simply a
mistake-there was quite a gap between the bridge pins and the start of the
wraps on the original bass strings. Either way, it's happy where it is now.

But I'm still not all that happy with the low tenor and will probably
replace the lowest notes with Type 1 or Type 2 wire. Just to see what
happens. I have to do some recording and measuring on the configuration I
have right now first. All I have to date is empirical observation; and we
all know how fallible that can be.

A couple of folks who participate on Pianotech have seen and heard this
piano; perhaps they will comment on how it plays and sounds to them.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue