[pianotech] Little Everett Grands

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 15:50:48 MST 2010

At 07:50 -0500 16/11/2010, Terry Farrell wrote:

>...Surely, NO piano without agraffes in the bass and tenor could
>EVER sound nice! And of course, NO piano that doesn't have at least
>a four-section plate/string-scale could EVER sound good! What fun
>proving people wrong!

Yes indeed, but I have always asked myself why they bothered with
agraffes there at all.  It slows down the stringing process and costs
more money, time and labour.  The old Bösendorfer Viennese grands had
a heavy, removable iron 'capo' in the treble and the rest was done
like this but using only a half-round bridge bar instead of the
heavier version like Del's, which is identical in conception to the
design I have in mind for my next prototype.  No doubt the lighter
bridge-bar ( I call them that because that's their function on a
grand even if they're the same as a pressure-bar on an upright) will
sound fine, but the rigidity of the heavier front bridge and the
positioning legs make it preferable and also visually far more
serious.

If makers had discovered that a super-massive and perfectly rigid
front bridge improved the tone below a certain point in the scale
then they would all have switched from agraffes to an all-through
cast-in bridge (as on many cheapish baby grands) or a more massive
arrangement of some kind like this.  The fact is that the agraffe is
adequate, but it is also expensive.

The heavy bronze or brass front bridge can be produced cheaply as a
casting, saves a considerable amount of drilling tapping and
threading-through and does a job that is bound to be as good as the
agraffe and a lot better in theory even if the theory is inaudible.
It has the additional advantages that it looks good and businesslike,
can be polished if necessary far more easily than agraffes and can be
refaced at the apex where it matters to get the optimum termination.

JD