[pianotech] Another Damper Puzzler - Update

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Thu Nov 18 09:04:18 MST 2010

Follow up on "brush noise" on dampers lifting.
Yesterday I saw this piano for routine tuning and had a chance to work on the "swishing" noise when the damper pedal was depressed.  When just a short section of dampers were blocked using the Sustenuto pedal, the amount of "swishing" noise was reduced. I did retreat the felt in the damper lift tray with "Protek" and could tell the capstan screws were quiet. Using "Protek", I treated the top and bottom of the damper guide rail bushing and finally cleared the problem.  Now all you hear is the "normal" sound of the dampers lifting from the strings.  Thanks to Paul Bruesch for his comments.

Ken Gerler