[pianotech] ringing dampers

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 20:21:42 MST 2010

I'm on board with this too! Those long dampers can be deceiving - they can look like they are aligned at the top, but may be off on the bottom. It's pretty hard to see, so it's easy to miss! Its amazing to me how one string not being damped well can cause so much noise!

Ryan

This is what the problem was. Today I went back to take care of the problem, and the first thing I did was carefully look at the offending notes, mostly F#2 to A#2. On those, the bottom half of the felts were not seated between the two strings. On some of them it was just the bottom part of the bottom felt that had curled over, which was preventing the rest of the felt from contacting the string completely. Once I got them all aligned, the overtones were gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wim