[pianotech] ringing dampers

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 12:39:36 MST 2010

Hi Wim,

My thoughts FWIW.

1.      I wonder if on a hard blow, the damper felt itself might not be
perfectly aligned with the center of the strings, maybe wiggling one way or
the other just enough to allow the bottom half of these dampers to sneak
outside of the center, to the outside of the wire on either side of it?

2.      Maybe, by chance, these particular dampers are not glued snuggly
enough to the damper head which could account for the above?

3.      Could it be that the dampers are catching on neighboring dampers or,
the wires are sticking up a little too high or the dampers are adjusted to
jussssst catch the wire on these notes when played just so?

4.      Maybe too much glue on one side of the felt sticking out catching
these notes when they are played harder?

5.      High pitched sound.  Maybe a little voicing is needed on one or more
of the string marks in the hammer on that note?

Odd and interesting that it is the same notes from F#1-A#3.  All 3rds.