[pianotech] Plate refinishing

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 19 01:44:42 MST 2010

Dale asked:
"Esteemed Techno- crats
I'd like to pick your brains. I need some help.
Because of the nature of our work we refinish a lot of plates every year.
We often get the spray canned special paint job and other times quite a decent finish but aged and other forms of stuff which needs re-whatevering.
But right now I have a Stwy B plate & the second finish that was applied previously is very thick and chippy and comes off easily in places and the other half won't no matter what. Trying to sand it makes a hodge podge mess. No matter how well you might feather all the edges it usually ends up showing up even through the new finish. We use acrylic primer and top coats with gold followed by clear coats. I have sand blasted two plates which takes of the Japanning/ porcelain under coat. I hate to go this route but in this case I'm stuck.
So... after the blasting it's a matter of using some type of primer to fill and smooth. I'd like to hear from anyone who has suffered in this way
So the question is... I would like to find a bare metal sealer/finish that flows and fills and sands easily. My thought is to locate something you can just pour/spray on and let it flow out. Similar to polyester. Get the idea? Hey any ideas welcome
Thanks"

Dale,
I found a "filler Primer" at my local Auto Parts Store. It worked very well to cover the problems left after thorough stripping. Sanded easily and left a nice smooth undercoat for a solid Black Primer....then the gold....then the clear. I was very happy with it, for a rattle can finish. Not my usual way of doing it, but this was a "poser" and a" budget" job as well. I hope that helps
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I