[pianotech] Developing confidence - was Steinway Upright

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 01:31:26 MST 2010

Amen Brother!! That's the work that needs to be done. You are out there in
the trenches walking the talk and making musical instruments out of second
hand "junkers".  Thats the great thing about our field! The raw materials
can be had for next to nothing. The results can be striking. One of my
mentors always said "If you do the same things that you would do to a high
end piano on the humble average piano,* it works!*". Regulate the sucker,
shape the hammers, fit 'em to the strings, needle them as necessary, etc.
and you will create a little more beauty in the world than existed before!

I've cut my teeth on thousands of these mediocre instruments. Then when I
got my hands on a really fine machine,I had the practice under my belt so
that I was able to deliver.

That's why I get impatient with techs who like to trash these humble pianos.
Like 'em or not these pianos have helped me feed my family of 5 these past
16 years! I have clients who like them, even adore them. It is my duty to
try improve them in the most cost effective manner that I can.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter