[pianotech] Developing confidence - was Steinway Upright

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 02:41:40 MST 2010

<<<<Thanks, Floyd.
 Unfortunately, most of what I get - as a 'newbie" technician -
are cheaper and/or older pianos that don't seem to be worth the
time of some older, more  established technicians.  My apologies
and admiration, though,  to those techs who DO spend quality
time on these oft-neglected instruments.
Tom

    Heck, I've been at this for 30 years and still most of the
pianos I get are spinets and old uprights, spinets and old
uprights.  That's what most people own, at least around here.
Or else the other techs already have all the clients with nice
grands sewn up.  I feel pleased if now and then I get even a
decent console or small grand to tune.  Those large grands and
nicer full uprights are only 2% of the clientele, unless maybe
you tune on Manhattan's upper East Side, Beverly Hills, Palm
Beach, FL, Scarsdale, etc.
    --David Nereson, RPT

<< . . . . . >>

<< List: I was approached by a potential client who wanted me to
tune her late grandmother's Steinway upright. It was recently
moved from her grandmother's home to its present location and,
regretfully, hasn't been tuned in many (read: more than ten)
years. Of course I agreed, since I'm working hard to get my
fledgling business off the ground, but then I remembered that a
number of technicians in my limited experience had been less
than complimentary of the Steinway upright due to its quirky
nature during tuning. My inclination is to approach this tuning
with no preconceptions but alarm bells are still insistently
ringing in my head. Are there any pitfalls or booby traps that I
should be aware of before attempting this daunting task? Your
collective wisdom will be most appreciated. Tom Rhea Piano
Service Tom Rhea, Jr., Technician >>

Nah, it's just another piano, and no more daunting than any
other.  Go for it.  Each one has its own feel in the pinblock,
and each one has strings that render slightly differently,
regardless of make.  It may have pins that are "waving around in
the breeze," as Newton Hunt used to put it, because of the lack
of tuning pin bushings, but there are other pianos one can say
the same thing about;  you just have to find out by feel as to
how to set the strings/pins.  Now, there is one particular model
of Steinway I've heard technicians curse, but I never run into
them.  Are you tuning an old old upright with double flanges or
what?
    --David Nereson, RPT