[pianotech] Dehumidifier rods

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 01:20:50 MST 2010

Hi list
ttached 2 pics of heater rods(15watts) in a grand piano. The heater on the
oundboard according to the tech that installed it helps to prevent rust. The
ther rod in the action cavity is the standard installation in our hot and humid
limate. Its on 24/7. Your views pls.
hanks!
im

When I first got to Hawaii, just about every grand piano I came across had a DC in the action cavity. I removed about a dozen of them, and put them under the piano, until I attended a chapter meeting, where I was told that having a DC under the piano was basically useless, and that a DC in the action cavity kept moisture from the action. But because there is so much humidity here, 24/7-365, pin blocks don't dry out.

Since I learned that, I have never had a pin block that was anywhere close to being dried out. The only pin block I have had to replace was on where the termites got to it. Other than that, all blocks are solid.

To prevent rust on the strings, it is highly recommended that your customers buy a string cover. But not one made of felt. Felt obsorbs moisture, and then transfers that moisture on to the strings. I've even had one case where the felt cover got a little wet, and actually attached itself to the strings. So you need to get a string cover made of ranch hide, or something similar.

Lim, where do you live, where it is hot and humid? Is that way year around?

Wim

ttached 2 pics of heater rods(15watts) in a grand piano. The heater on the
oundboard according to the tech that installed it helps to prevent rust. The
ther rod in the action cavity is the standard installation in our hot and humid
limate. Its on 24/7. Your views pls.
hanks!
im
ent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
owered by Gee! from StarHub