[pianotech] My first Winter Spinet--are they all like this?

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Tue Nov 23 22:37:48 MST 2010

Winter spinets did not significantly penetrate the market in western Manitoba.  Seven years into tuning I encountered my first one today.
Opened it up, found an envelope--kinda thick, and open.  Took a quick look--it was full of cash.  I set it aside and went to work.
The owner walked in.  "Have you had this piano long?"  "No, just a couple of weeks."  "You might be interested in this envelope."
The piano had been given to this lady by a retired friend in the community.  She spent the rest of the afternoon frantically trying to locate the "donor."  I expect to hear the story behind this eventually, but the amount of cash was probably about $2000, and it had obviously been there about 12 years.  A few other idiosyncrasies elsewhere in the action were also solved by removing smaller amounts of cash.  Go figure!
Oh yes, the piano.  1949 Winter spinet.  May have been tuned since it left the store back then, but I'm not sure.  Pins were tight, as if they had never been moved.  Hardly any wear on the hammers.  No a bad specimen for a spinet.  What was that on the plate--"Alumitone?"  Is that what you get with aluminum colored paint over cast iron?  And a nicely designed case in pretty good shape.
I think I'll remember this piano.
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter