[pianotech] re. Small vise grips for mass loading

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 11:02:20 MST 2010

On 11/26/2010 9:54 AM, johnparham at piano88.com wrote:
> Thanks for verbalizing this technique.  I was exposed to it several
> years ago and use it fairly frequently.  I have no idea how widespread
> this idea is.  Without overstating the obvious, I wonder if it is worth
> posting in TT&T (I'm always looking!)

   There is already a pretty thorough article about this and other
"after-the-fact" soundboard impedance shifting techniques compiled by
Barbara Richmond in the August 2007Journal. Ron Nossaman, Darrell
Fandrich & John Rhodes weighed in on the subject.
> More interestingly, I wonder if there are other simple, handy techniques
> that other technicians use when collecting diagnostic information about
> the soundboard variable?

Yes.

I have been experimenting with a set of techniques which I am using to
identify the structural causes of undesirable piano tone.  I've actually
just completed using a whole raft of them on a "finished" piano, to
excellent effect.

They are relatively simple tests which can be used not only as way to
identify structural weaknesses, but more importantly, they can be used
to determine:

- whether "after-the-fact" structural modifications  would work in
addressing that weakness
- what the modifications would be
- where they should be located for best results.

It's not exactly rocket science. In fact, as I said, the techniques are
pretty simple. However, used on an instrument with at least a minimally
functional soundboard, if employed strategically,  they have the
potential to improve entire regions of the tonal register without
touching the hammers. They also have the potential to greatly improve
one's sense of what it takes to create a structurally adequate rebuild,
without having to go back after-the-fact to address inadequacies.

I'm using the word "structure" in a piano to refer to a what I see as a
4 component system:

1- soundboard/ rib scale/ bridge
2- case/ belly rail and support bracing
3- plate structure
4- nosebolt and rim bolts tying the above three systems into a cohesive
whole.

#1 the belly structure is well accepted as an essential component that
creates beautiful piano tone, but #'s 2, 3 & 4 for many of us escape
being fingered for tonal deficiencies they can create. As a happy bonus,
#'s 2, 3 & 4 are easier to think about and deal with than soundboard
structure, so they only present a minor intimidation factor.

All of these systems have been discussed at great length on this list,
so, rather than just start another thread repeating the already oft
rehearsed structural issues, I'm in the process of coming up with a way
to present this set of tests in a convention class setting. The goal: to
demonstrate on a piano, physically and aurally in real time, how oft
ignored structural issues can globally improve or ruin tonal
characteristics...to show techniques that allow one to both isolate the
deficiencies, and give some ideas on how to deal with them.
Again...global, stable, tonal improvement without touching the hammers.

John, your question asked about the "soundboard variable".  I would
suggest that the "structure" in its entirety, ie soundboard
system/case/plate/and case-to-plate connection, not just the soundboard,
needs to be considered as the variable(s).

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com