[pianotech] re. Small vise grips for mass loading

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Nov 26 08:52:44 MST 2010

I use two techniques to assess soundboard life, along with more "normal" tests such as measuring crown with a gauge or bearing sticks, or measuring crown with a straight edge between the strings or a string along the longest rib on the underside: plucking strings in every section and listening to the sustain, power , and resonance, and thumping the board from underneath with the "meat" end of my closed fist and doing the same thing. Your ears are truly your best tool....
DA