[pianotech] Spinet damper flanges - I'll NEVER make THAT mistake again !!!!!

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:01:36 MST 2010

Ah yes! Regulating spinet dampers - a true test of a technicians patience
and ingenuity! <G>

I can usually regulate spinet dampers by using the normal tools: the
straight and 45 degree wire benders: Pianotek #JCH 18-B and JCH 18-C. On
occasion I have found the Hart damper tool (Item HDP) to be useful when the
spring rail is in the way, esp. for adjusting for even lift with the pedal.
You may have to open up the slot a little more to fit on the damper wire.
Removing the spring rail is not a bad idea - but will add time to the job,
and is not usually necessary. But heck! It may relieve stress and
frustration so it may be worth it. (how often do we have to weigh stress and
frustration vs efficiency in this business??)

Here's another trick: Adjust the threaded pedal rod nut (for adjusting free
play) down really far so that the pedal will lift the dampers WAY off the
strings. Then you can adjust dampers that are lifting too early by simply
holding the damper against the string (firmly yet gently) and stepping on
the pedal to adjust the wire. (did you know you get paid more to "adjust"
wires than "bend" them?)

Another trick for adjusting the spoons if they are lifting early is to reach
under the action and hold the bottom of the damper lever stationary with a
finger and push down the key. Sometimes there is not enough room to get your
hand back there, but its always worth trying. It takes some practice!

Bottom line: give yourself plenty of time - this is not an easy,
straight-forward task. Perseverance, and patience will pay off. Acrosonics
are a favorite among the small pianos - even some professional musicians
love them. Hang in there! You'll get it!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter