[pianotech] Plate Repair

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 22:35:25 MST 2010

There is a repair procedure called metal stitching.  It involves drilling a series of holes  along the crack and screwing special plugs into those holes.  Whether it is worth doing on this piano is a question, but yes it can be repaired.  It can also be welded, but it takes a very specialized, skilled welder to do it.  I think there's an ad in the Journal for plate repair.  Are you a Guild member?  If not, I could look it up for you.  If there is sentimental or other value in the piano, maybe it would be worth it.  Otherwise, chalk it up.  Tell 'em to get another piano.
    Paul McCloud
    San DIego