[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Wed Oct 13 08:50:30 MDT 2010

:

>>...I can see the argument for mimicking the string plane curve (maybe)...
>

> Well, can you or can't you?  And if you can, how and why?  I can send you
> a few sample Steinway strike height curves if you like and you can tell us
> how on earth they can be mimicked in the key levels.

Mabye I am not getting the big picture and that is typical for me.
But - if the string height becomes lower toward the treble, it seems that if
the hammer line remains level there will be an issue with key dip - it will
deminish as the blow distance deminishes.
The question is do you regulate that way or do you try to keep dip constant?
If you keep it constant would it not be reasonable to have a key level that
was higher in the center than the ends?
Gene