[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Wed Oct 13 09:35:40 MDT 2010

I was taught that you can create a Steinway key leveling stick by
putting a wooden stick on top of a center pin, clamping down both ends
of the stick to curve it, and then planing the top level.  When you
release the clamps, the stick will return to the curve you need.

Kind of puts the curve radius into perspective.  A center pin
thickness over four feet?  I don't even need to do the math...

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM

www.shusterpiano.com