[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 11:37:41 MDT 2010

At 08:00 -0500 13/10/2010, William Monroe wrote:

>I would respectfully disagree. ÊWhen at the factory three years ago
>(and this spring) we looked at the CNC machine that does the cutting
>to radius the key bed. ÊIt was still done then, and I've heard
>nothing to the contrary in the past three years. ÊFYI.

Ah well, there's another maybe!

Thank you for the stuff from Horace, Paul.  Lots of interesting stuff
there even if it does not tell the whole story and even if it does a
partial whitewash job on the monopoly from Stuttgart.  As to Kluge, I
think the takeover by Steinway took place only 6 or 7 years ago, so
if Steinway have any complaints about them now, they know where to
look.

Incidentally there are various types of "European" oak.  The English
oak is supposed to be best for ships, but the French brown oak I have
seen is far nicer for pianos.

JD