[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Thu Oct 14 05:37:35 MDT 2010

Hi, William,

At 06:00 AM 10/13/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>I would respectfully disagree.  When at the factory three years ago
>(and this spring) we looked at the CNC machine that does the cutting
>to radius the key bed.  It was still done then, and I've heard
>nothing to the contrary in the past three years.  FYI.

Yes.  The problem is that, as I think I've noted elsewhere, this is
simply one more instance in which S&S is consistently predictable in
their inconsistency.  That is, from a certain point of view, using
CNC devices to do the rough cutting of keybeds at some point in their
manufacturing process is one thing.  It's quite another to change
manufacturing processes (e.g., not necessarily _design
standards_)  in ways which materially affect as-built
standards.  Those kinds of changes are notable if one looks at enough
instruments over a long enough period of time...especially when one
has to re-engineer whatever has happened on the line in order to
figure out what may/may not be going on with a specific piano.  By
that, I mean that, from a certain point of view, it really doesn't
matter how the cabinet work is done if the end result is consistent
inconsistency with regard to the product - and, there's been plenty
of that over a very long time in the specific are of forefinishing.

And, yes, I've seen the CNC machines in operation in Astoria; and
I've also seen them sitting quiet, obviously not in use.  It's really
had a great deal to do with who has been in charge of manufacturing
at any given time over the years.  Further, let's please not forget
that an issue of increasing seriousness to many manufacturers,
especially ones in the piano business over the last 60 years or so,
is the paucity of real cabinet makers coming through the doors
seeking employment.

Putting aside much of the above, though, because it really obfuscates
what we're talking about, the issue with the keybed and how that
affects key leveling has to do with the whole forefinishing
process.  And, as critical as that area is to Steinway, they are
still having real problems with getting much consistency with the
whole process.  Beds and keyframes come through all over the
place...often being planar where they should be concave, concave
where they should be convex...etc.  In that context, I fully concur
with Ron (and others) that building a crown into the key height,
however rewarding it may be from a standpoint of ego or technical
competency is simply not noticed  with sufficient frequency.  Does
that mean I don't do it?  Of course not.  It just means I'm quite
realistic about why I'm doing it and for whom.

Best regards.

Horace