[pianotech] Grand Piano Tilter

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Thu Oct 14 17:25:45 MDT 2010

Rex,
   My introduction of the grand piano tilter at the Las Vegas Convention was a little premature with respect to my production capabilities. Also, upon returning from the Convention I decided to make a minor change to the design to avoid to possibility of damage to the swinging leg. My goal is to build a tool than can survive the abuse associated with being tossed around in the back of a truck. The swinging leg feature did not meet that rigorous test, so I redesigned the tool to incorporate a fixed extendible leg. This new design now has little to no exposed parts that could be damage if the tool were thrown off the back of a moving truck. Coincidentally, that new design was perfected today. Now comes the manufacture of the parts incorporated within this new design. Here in the Seattle area, manufacturing is moving at a brisk pace with the Boeing Company commanding the talents of the local production machine shops, so one must stand in line to have even the simplest part made. I expect the end of November for the earliest release. Go to moondogmanufacturing.com for a brief description.
   This tool is unlike the Piano Horse in that, when setting up the piano, it doesn't require a second person to lift the base leg area of the piano while attaching the last (base) leg. The tool was born out of the necessity for me to deliver my performance pianos by myself, or for my 2 movers to move the 7's and 9' pianos with ease. Also, Pianodisc installers have shown a great interest in this tilter.
   The two models shown at the Las Vegas convention were delivered to Rick Baldassin and the Yamaha Corporation, and I currently have none of the old design left. Let me know at roger at gablepiano.com if you want me to notify you when the new model is ready for delivery. The cost should be about $800 or less.
Roger Gable